History & Wine Tasting Tour
Are you looking for private or bespoke tours?
History & Wine Tasting Tour
A half day tour to discover the north-western shore of Lake Como and the town of Dongo with its history and well-kept secrets… to end with a relaxing cellar visit and wine tasting in Domaso.
This is a private tour reserved exclusively for your group.
|Departs: Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun, 9:30 a.m.
Duration: 5-6 hours
Minimum: 2 adults
Price: 2 Adults: Euro 680 from Tremezzo / 2 Adults: Euro 750 from Varenna / Additional guests: Euro 50 pp
Lake Como played an important role in the history of our country and was protagonist during World War II mainly due to two reasons: its mountain paths and local smugglers who knew them by heart were fundamental to rescue a number of Jewish families who found shelter in the nearby Switzerland.
But above all Lake Como was the theatre of the end of Mussolini and of the highest Fascist hierarchs: the town of Dongo, located on the north-western shore of the lake, is the place where Benito Mussolini and the fascist ministers were captured on 27th April 1945. They were all taken to the Town Hall to formalize the arrest and decide about their future: the hierarchs were shot in the lakefront square the following morning. Mussolini was shot in the small town of Giulino di Mezzegra, near Tremezzo, but the story of his killing is still shrouded in mystery.
During this tour, you will meet your tour guide in Dongo to hear about the town’s history and to visit the Museum dedicated to local partisans and to the facts which took place here in the last days of the war: far from being boring, the museum is a virtual and interactive journey into the depths of one of the most controversial pages of Italian history.
Thereafter, you will drive north for a brief stop in Gravedona to admire the amazing lakefront church Santa Maria del Tiglio and finally you’ll arrive to a local panoramic winery where the owner will be glad to lead you to a cellar visit and a thorough tasting of their wine production, coupled with local olive oil, cheeses and cold cuts.
The tour is only available privately with transfer including departures from Lenno or northern locations along the shore and from Varenna and northern locations along the shore. Other departure locations to be quoted as an extra.
- Private minibus transfer.
- Guided tour of the town of Dongo and its Museo della Guerra
- Guided wine tasting at a small family-owned winery (2 wines) accompanied with cheese and cold cuts.
- The costs of any souvenirs/ drinks / snacks / meals that are not explicitly listed in the programme must be paid separately
- The tour is not recommended for pregnant women and children due to alcohol consumption.
- Comfortable shoes and clothes are advisable. Please bring a light jacket/jumper with you as temperature in the cellars could be cold.
- Not wheelchair accessible.
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking.
- The tour runs rain or shine.
- Please remember that bookings are made on a first come, first served basis.
- This tour is in English. Other languages are available, contact us.
- If you cancel your tour 7 or more days before your tour you shall be fully refunded.
- There are no refunds if you cancel your tour less than 7 days (168 hours) before the start of your tour.
- There are no refunds if you do not turn up for the tour (our tours start promptly, the guide shall not be able to linger).
- If you need to reschedule your booked tour we will do our best to accommodate your request. Please contact us directly by email or phone. In case we cannot meet your needs and you decide to cancel, no refund shall be given for tours that are cancelled with 7 of fewer days notice.
- Please refer to our full Terms and Conditions policy here.