Valtellina Wine Tasting Tour
Are you looking for private or bespoke tours?
Valtellina Wine Tasting Tour
A full day tour to discover the tastes and flavours of Valtellina: visit to an old grocery store dated 1883, wine tasting experience at two historic wineries plus lunch at a Michelin listed restaurant.
|Departs: Wed., 9:00 a.m.
Duration: 10 hours
Minimum: 2 adults
Price: Adult: Euro 310
(group discount 4 people 260 pp)
P.zza Martiri della Libertà
Varenna – ITALY
Our “Valtellina Wine tasting tour” starts in front of the Ferry Terminal Ticket Office.
Just look for the team with the LAKE COMO FOOD TOURS sign!
During our “Valtellina: food & wine tasting tour” you will discover the taste and flavours of this magnificient region. Get on board our private minibus in Varenna and start your journey!
Our first stop will be at a famous and old “Bottega” (grocery store) of the valley dated 1883 for a taste of the two typical cheeses of the region, the well-rounded forms of aged Bitto and Casera hidden in back rooms surrounded by an astonishing succession of vaults, columns and beehive cells. The artisan rules of conservation, care and aging of typical Valtellinese natural products have been handed down from generation to generation by this family despite the changing trends.
The trip continues along the valley to a small historic Valtellina winery located in the ancient home of the noble Quadrio, in Chiuro for an unforgettable 3 wine tasting experience accompanied by cheese and cold meat specialties like the famous bresaola di Valtellina, air-dried salted beef. The winemaker Paolo carries on the family tradition with his sons Luca and Matteo respecting as much as possible the long aging time of Nebbiolo. This is the only winery at the moment that uses the precious antioxidant active ingredients of grapes to produce anti-aging creams, based on red wine.
Lunch will be served in a Michelin listed restaurant renowned for highlighting the ancient land flavors in its dishes. This is the best time to relax and get to know your travelling companions while enjoying the world famous typical dish of “pizzoccheri” (pasta made with buckwheat floor, topped with Casera cheese, butter and cabbage) and the “sciatt”, delicious cheese-filled buckwheat fritters.
The tour continues after lunch to your last stop – a visit to the most historic and largest winery of Valtellina born more than a century ago: Casa Vinicola Nino Negri. You will be guided through a labyrinth of cellars under Palazzo Quadrio, the company’s headquarters, where you will be so amazed by the number of barrels and underground rooms while experiencing the tasting of 4 different wines so interesting that you won’t notice that you have come out in another part of the village.
This concludes your Valtellina experience and now enjoy the journey back to Varenna admiring the beautiful landscapes that surrounds Lake Como.
Private minibus transfer.
- Visit to an old charming Bottega (grocery store) dated 1883 plus tasting of delicious local cheeses (Bitto, Casera) .
- Guided wine tasting at an historic small winery (3 wines) accompanied with cheese and cold cuts.
- Special lunch at a Michelin listed Restaurant (starter, pizzoccheri, water, a glass of wine and coffee).
- Visit and guided wine tasting at the famous Cantine Nino Negri winery (4 wines) accompanied with local specialties.
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off (please contact us for a quotation).
- The costs of any souvenirs/ drinks / snacks / meals that are not explicitly listed in the programme.
- The tour is not recommended for pregnant women and children due to alcohol consumption.
- No pets allowed.
- Comfortable shoes and clothes are advisable. Please bring a light jacket/jumper with you as temperature in the cellars could be cold.
- Not wheelchair accessible.
- The meeting and end point are well connected to public transport.
- Please bring a bottle of water; alternatively you can purchase one near the meeting point.
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking.
- The tour runs rain or shine.
- Please remember that bookings are made on a first come, first served basis.
- This tour is in English. Other languages are available, contact us.
- If you cancel your tour 7 or more days before your tour you shall be fully refunded.
- There are no refunds if you cancel your tour less than 7 days (168 hours) before the start of your tour.
- There are no refunds if you do not turn up for the tour (our tours start promptly, the driver shall not be able to linger).
- If you need to reschedule your booked tour we will do our best to accommodate your request. Please contact us directly by email or phone. In case we cannot meet your needs and you decide to cancel, no refund shall be given for tours that are cancelled with 7 of fewer days notice.
- Please refer to our full Terms and Conditions policy here.